Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hector's House


Guten Tag. I'm Hector - the senior citizen here at the home of Haricot Blanc, le blogging French cat.

While she's away on holiday with the comfy laps and the lop-eared nutters, I've taken the chance to slip in and introduce myself.

To start with I'm not the PRESENCE, as mentioned by my much younger buddy Hiro in an earlier piece.

No, I'm the much- travelled doyen of the household.

Born in Germany (hence the reason I broke into my mother tongue right at the beginning) and brought up there for the first three years of my life, I moved to Italy with HMDT before ending up here in France..

In fact we've been together now for more years than I can remember and I'm the only four-legged male here among a bevvy of feline beauties.

I met HB for the first time just before she left for her break, and it sure brought back memories of my distant youth.

Not that I'm old or anything, but taking a look at my passport informs me that I've just turned 14.

As far as I'm concerned I'm in the "prime of my life", although the excesses of youth have perhaps taken their toll a little.

In my younger days I was quite the little tearaway, regularly getting into scraps and happily spending days (and nights) combing the countryside and generally making clear who was boss.

But those days are behind me now. I've not many of my teeth left, a slightly raggedy left ear from an altercation, and on top of that I still dearly miss my old pal Hoagy.

He left us three years ago at the ripe old age of 19.

I get on really well with Hiro mainly because she reminds me so much of him - same colour, same enormous purr and same gentle character.

And she was in fact the one who suggested I pop in to introduce myself and helped me upload a couple of photos. I'm not really into all this new-fangled technology myself, preferring to leave it to youngsters.

If my initial encounter with HB is anything to go by then I have to say she certainly seems energetic and full of bounce, but that's always the way with the young 'uns isn't it?

A curious nose-to-nose greeting was followed by a sudden change of gear as she ricocheted around the hall and disappeared up the stairs in a fury of activity.

She didn't appear to be frightened in the slightest, just terribly over-excited at meeting.

We'll get along just fine as long as she doesn't insist on too much rough and tumble and realises that when I'm settled on the sofa between the comfy laps, I really don't like to be disturbed.

As for the PRESENCE. Well like Hiro, I don't want ot give too much of the game away, and I certainly wouldn't dream of influencing HB but let me just say that she (the PRESENCE) is definitely bipolar material.

All right, I feel a doze coming on. It's baking hot outside, so I'm going to try to find some shade for a quiet nap.

I hope to be able to share some wise words with HB when she returns, but for the moment I'll leave her (and you) with a couple of recent snaps of myself.

Bis später.

Hector.

15 comments:

  1. Hello Hector. What an amazingly handsome mancat you are! Your fur is very beautiful and your little white feet are just too cute. You certainly do not look 14 years old. You look
    quite young and in very good form. We should see more of you, darling. (The mum is crazy about senior kitties.) You take a marvelous photo, love. Both pictures are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hector you are a well traveled cat for sure! My Smokey is 13 but still acts like a kitten at times. You older men need to stick together. You look very distinguished in your photos...very beautiful. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hector, Hiro and Haricot Blanc,
    I'm Madi and Mom (my typist)...we read about your blog on Poppy Q's blog. We are also new bloggers. We went live in mid June. Welcome to the blogging world. We'll all learn together. You all have very interesting backgrounds. Hector you are a handsome distingushed gentleman. Living with young rambuctious kitties can be very trying. I'm 7, have a very peaceful life with just my humans in the southern United States. I am the 3rd family pet. The two before me paved quite a nice comfy path for me. They were both excellent pets. WE look forward to talking to you again, Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Hector! We are very pleased to meet you! Miss Poppy Q suggested we stop by to meet you! You are very handsome! Mom has "a thing" for tabby's, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi you 3 H's!!! We saw you over on Poppy's page and came to say hello. You are all such sweet looking kitties!!! Welcome to the world og The Blog! Come by and visit us anytime!!! We LOVE new furriends!!!

    Sniffs & Scratches~
    The Kool~Kittie~Krew
    AKA...Skeeter, King, & Pandora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Hector:) We saw your link on Poppy's page, and came over to say hello! You sure have had an interesting life so far. What a well travelled mancat! It is nice to meet you:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! We saw you at Poppy Q's blog.
    You're a beautiful mancat =)
    hugs and purrs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hector, and Haricot, and Hiro! We also saw you on Poppy Q's blog and came to say hello. We are happy to meet you all and look forward to getting to know you all better.

    Somehow, it doesn't seem fair that poor Hector (and presumably Hiro) didn't get to go on holiday with the humans like Haricot did! ;)

    Purrs and hugs,
    The Kitty Krew (yes, we're different from The Kool Kittie Krew who posted above...but we decided with them to pretend we're all cousins due to the similar name :) )

    ReplyDelete
  9. We came by from Poppy Q's to meet you. We are a blended family -- cats and dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hector! I am also visiting after seeing you all mentioned over at Poppy Q's place! It is nice to meet you. I think it is great that you are such a well traveled kitty! We can't wait to find out more about you, Hiro and of course Haricot Blanc!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi ya, Hector! It's nice to meet you! Poppy Q told us about you! Hope you are having a great day!

    Wally, Ernie & Zoey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Hector! We are so happy to meet you. We are going to look back at your older posts so we can get to know your family a bit better.

    There are 8 kitties and one woofie living in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello hector et al! i read about you on poppy's blog and came over to meet you. i've bookmarked you and will check in regularly. you're a beautiful tabby, hector. love the little white feet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, Hi, Hi!
    We heard about you on Poppy's blog, so we came on by to say HI. Come visit us sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi kitties. Poppy Q told me about you so I came to say hello. It's very nice to meet you.

    Huffle Mawson, Explorer Cat

    ReplyDelete